Saturday, June 8, 2013

More on Government Databases

It was just a few weeks ago that I posted this item, about a proposed new federal database that would include biometric info about every American. The stated purpose of the database – to ensure that employers don’t hire illegals (it’s a part of the Gang of Eight’s immigration bill) – is good, as I said in the post.

But I also worried whether such a database would be open to abuse, and whether it might be expanded to include all sorts of other information about us (tax data, political donations, etc).

I worried as I posted it that it might be considered paranoid. While I don’t think of myself as a particularly paranoid person, the problem is that none of us are very good judges of our own mental states.

I feel considerably less concern about whether I’m crazy now. In light of the fact that the feds are listening in on our phone calls and reading our Facebook posts, I think it’s quite reasonable to assume that they would use such a database to advance their own purposes – whether those purposes are ‘national security’ or protecting the incumbent party.

No comments:

Post a Comment