Monday, July 29, 2013

Headline Writer Hits the Trifecta

When I saw this headline, I thought of a recent discussion on a Philippine expat forum about how much some words get overused. The discussion included comments about how everything involving paid sex gets called 'trafficking' now.

And of course, we know that the hookers are always 'rescued', though I think this is just a local phrase. Does 'rescuing' happen everywhere now? I don't recall that word being used in the US -- there the hookers are 'arrested'.

Anyway, I thought this writer was doing great by working both those words in; and then I noticed that he had also managed to include the magic word for stories of this type: 'foreigners'.

8 women rescued from suspected trafficker catering to foreigners

Give that guy a raise!

No comments:

Post a Comment