Monday, October 28, 2013

In Internet Heaven

Just out of curiosity, I ran a speed test on the internet where I am currently staying (with my daughter and son-in-law). The speed was just over 26 megabytes per second.

That will not sound remarkable to anyone in the US, but it would be like heaven to any internet user in the Philippines. I did a post back in March about the atrocious infrastucture of the Philippines -- roads, electricity, and sidewalks as well as internet -- and another in May about my SmartBro wireless modem. I will summarize that I seldom got as much as 1 mbps in the Philippines from my wired connection at my apartment; the SmartBro, which was alleged to deliver 'up to' 5 mbps, actually delivered less than 0.5).

1 comment:

  1. Hey, CIA guy, I wonder if you can use your personal PRISM and ECHELON connections to link up faster into the WWW? How about the corrupt gov't officials in the Philippines? Can you send in your black-ops folks and take those alligators out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete