Saturday, October 26, 2013

Running in the Cold

I ran a little over three miles today, the first time I've run since being back in the States. The temperature was about 52F -- not terribly cold, but a big change from the 80-90 I've been used to.

It's really different -- less sweat of course, and less thirst. In Cebu, my t-shirt at the end of running a few miles was often so soaked I had to wring it out before hanging it to dry before throwing it in the dirty clothes pile. Everything I wore was wet after ruinning -- my shorts, my socks, even my shoes. Losing so much water, I was thirsty as hell -- often I would drink a liter of water after a run, as well as a half-liter of Gatorade.

Today, there was only enough sweat to make the walk home after running a bit unpleasant. I'll need to remember to bring a jacket to wear home as things get colder.

Another big difference is that I was running on concrete in Cebu (there are no large public spaces with grass there). Today I ran at Oak Park-River Forest High School on a nice artificial turf track. Much easier on the knees and ankles.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post. It wasn't too cold for a morning run but sounds better then running when it's 80 to 90 degrees. Have a great day and a happy upcoming new year.
    Dentist Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete