Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Time Travel

I have a weakness for time-travel stories. I have been assured by those who know more about science than I (which means damn near everybody) that the idea is ludicrous, especially travel into the past, where the potential contradictions and impossibilities become a real problem.

Thus, I loved this item. Take that, all you ultra-practical naysayers. Here’s a real honest-to-goodness scientist explaining exactly how it can be done.
A wormhole would allow a ship, for instance, to travel from one point to another faster than the speed of light -- sort of. That's because the ship would arrive at its destination sooner than a beam of light would, by taking a shortcut through space-time via the wormhole. That way, the vehicle doesn't actually break the rule of the so-called universal speed limit -- the speed of light -- because the ship never actually travels at a speed faster than light. 
Theoretically, a wormhole could be used to cut not just through space, but through time as well. 
"Time machines are unavoidable in our physical dimensional space-time," Davis wrote in his paper. "Traversable wormholes imply time machines, and (the prediction of wormholes) spawned a number of follow-on research efforts on time machines.
Not that I understand any of that. But I take it to mean that I am perfectly justified in continuing my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment