Thursday, January 23, 2014

How Many States Could There Be?

This is an interesting map exercise. The idea is that there could be as many as 124 states if all secession proposals ever advanced had been completed (also, if we had added Cuba and several pieces of Mexico, and all outlying areas had been given statehood).


Most of these, of course, were probably only semi-serious proposals. I recall the idea of Baja Arizona being floated a few years ago, but other than a few lefties at UofA I don't think anyone even paid any attention to the idea, much less supported it.

On the other hand, while I don't know how the locals feel about it, I've always thought a State of Delmarva makes a lot of sense, geographically at least. Dividing a relatively tiny peninsula into three pieces strikes me as pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment