Friday, November 8, 2013

A (Halfhearted) Defense of Barack Obama

I know some Republicans who say that Barack Obama is the worst president ever. Though I make no secret of my disdain for the guy, I must protest at this egregious example of ahistoricity. Until someone bungles us into another civil war, James Buchanan* shall reign supreme in that category.

Another frequent meme is that ‘the country can’t survive three more years of this!’ Though I certainly don’t look forward to the remaining thirty-eight months of Obama's term (and intend to absent myself from the country for as much of it as possible), I must point out the seventeen-plus years the country suffered under Johnson-Nixon-Ford-Carter. In that period we had two people who, if they deserved to be housed at the taxpayers’ expense, it should have been in a penitentiary rather than the White House; and then those two were followed by two inept clowns who blundered us though five years of economic disaster (to say nothing of Carter’s diplomatic failures).

As an aside, I think there is some sort of cosmic balance that has dictated that not only are these Four Horsemen evenly split two from each party, but also the two subcategories of awfulness to which I have assigned them (Criminals and Clowns) each consist of one Republican and one Democrat.

Anyway, I figure if we can get through that gauntlet of crapitude, a mere eight years of Barack Obama should be a cakewalk.

* More about Buchanan

No comments:

Post a Comment