Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Unpopular Opinions

I read an item (by Jim Geraghty of National Review) quoting a bunch of people who had been invited to tweet an unpopular opinion that they hold. Herewith:
Bob Dylan stinks. 
The singularity is not near. 
New Jersey is the greatest state in the history of states. 
Fat Elvis was the best. 
Chris Brown is hot and so is his music and his dance moves. 
Obama looks cute when he's golfing. 
Will Ferrell is vastly, vastly overrated. 
I have an aversion to the Amish. 
Roger Moore was the greatest James Bond. 
Tofu is delicious. 
I don't do "aaaawwww" over animal pics. 
The Electoral College is a good thing that needs to be preserved. 
Hobbit movies are like Ambien. 
A limited nuclear exchange wouldn't be all that bad. 
Higher education is grossly fetishized, overrated, frequently ruins people, and is often wholly useless. 
Five Guys is ridiculously overrated.
I don't know that all of these qualify. I think a lot of people are beginning to question the value of college (or at least its cost-benefit ratio). I disagree about Five Guys -- great burgers. And a few I'm unqualified to judge -- I don't know who Will Ferrell is, and I've never seen a Hobbit movie (and probably never will). But nonetheless, I'll join in with a bit of Baby Boomer apostasy:
The Beatles were an OK band, but really nothing special.
While I'm at it, I might as well add a bit more along the same lines. While I very much enjoy Christmas carols (O Holy Night is, I think, my favorite) there are some that are so obnoxious the composers ought to be drawn and quartered. The Little Drummer Boy is without a doubt the most worthless POS to ever pass through human vocal cords. The Twelve Days of Christmas is not quite as bad, but gets a dishonorable mention for sheer quantity. Whenever it starts, I shudder with the knowledge that, once started it will go on and on and on and ...

No comments:

Post a Comment